There’s no magic secret to being a good homeowner—it involves checking in on your home often, whether that’s the kitchen paint that’s peeling, the front porch that needs sweeping, or the broken window that needs to be repaired. The same thing applies to your home’s heating and cooling systems. To extend their lifespan, they require regular checkups, and service. Too often, homeowners mistakenly believe that if nothing is going wrong, there’s no need for a technician to come out to tune up their AC unit. However, without proper care and regular maintenance, your air conditioner will steadily lose cooling power, energy efficiency, and could break down altogether.
The best-known way to make your AC unit last longer is to research and invest in a local HVAC company who you can trust. That way, when emergencies hit or when you notice your energy bills start to rise, you can call a trusted team member to help. The team at DeFelice Heating and Cooling have been serving South Louisiana for a long time, and we know how to keep your home running as smoothly as possible. Call us to schedule service.
Preventative maintenance will go a long way
Many experts say that if you hear loud noises near your AC unit or notice your indoor temperature acting odd, you should get your AC unit checked. That may be true, but—many in many cases—you may not have visible or audible signs of the day-to-day wear-and-tear occurring inside your air conditioner. Many warning signs are actually silent and out-of-sight, which makes preventative maintenance is more important than ever.
You should have an HVAC expert visit your home annually to inspect your unit and diagnose it for any issues or repairs. Many times, this technician can offer tips to keep your unit running longer. Most air conditioners should last between 10-12years, and some last as long as 15, 20, or even more years if it receives annual maintenance. The more often you get your AC checked, the longer it should last. Why purchase a brand-new unit every decade because of poor upkeep when you can make your unit last for twice that? The team at DeFelice has friendly, certified technicians who can improve your home’s cooling and heating systems. You’ll begin to see the difference almost immediately, both in your home’s overall comfort and in your monthly energy bills.
Tips for lowering your energy bills
There are always extra measures you can take to save money each month on your energy bill. Being a proactive homeowner is the key to lowering costs and eliminating the headache of breakdowns. Here are just a few tips for conserving energy and making the most of your AC system:
- Turn off unused fans, lights, or appliances: Running the television, ceiling fans, and house lights all day can greatly increase your monthly bill, either through the direct use of electricity or through the heat they generate When not in use, make sure these are turned off or unplugged.
- Set your thermostat to a higher temperature: You may love it being a cool 65 degrees in your home, but setting that temperature permanently isn’t always realistic. When possible, move the temperature up a few degrees so your AC unit will work less to cool your home.
- Use floor fans for additional cooling: Purchase a few floor fans to cool you down, so you can avoid lowering the thermostat. Remember: fans don’t actually cool the air, but they can help keep you cool. Turn them off when you’re not in the room.
- Sleep with lighter bedding and/or clothing: During the warmer months of the year here in South Louisiana, wear light, loose clothing and sleep with less bedding to be more comfortable at night without the need for cranking the thermostat way down.
What not to do
Here are a few measures we don’t recommend when dealing with your home systems:
- DON’T attempt to perform DIY maintenance or complicated repairs yourself. This could void your manufacturer’s warranty and cause major damage to the system.
- DON’T use an inexperienced or non-certified HVAC company to repair your units. This could end up costing you more money down the road when you have to hire an official HVAC company to come in and clean up the mess.
- DON’T overwork the units in your home by turning them on and off constantly. Instead of turning your AC off completely when you’re away, set it to a higher temperature that you then lower when you return. Better yet, invest in a smart thermostat that can do this for you.
- DON’T neglect home maintenance—it’s one of the most important things you can do for your home. Call us to schedule your tune-up here in Larose and Grand Isle.
Why you need professional service
YouTube may have some of the DIY answers you need, but the fastest solution to your AC problems is calling the team at DeFelice Heating and Cooling. Since 1964, homeowners have trusted us to care for their home. We strive to earn your business by providing honest, friendly, and effective service on each and every job we complete. Your AC unit may seem fine on the outside, but to really know what’s going on, have our team out for an AC checkup this summer.